Wednesday, 24 July 2013

London

My lazy Sunday feels like a life-time ago! I have just had two very jam-packed days filled with moving most of my worldly belongings up to London. I’m not properly moving into our new house until August 1st, but I now have two new house keys jangling on my key ring and I’m itching to re-join my books, my bike, and my best friend, all of which I had to regretfully leave back in London yesterday. We did pick the hottest day of the year so far to move house (clever), and our housewarming turned more into a house-cooling as we had to provide our guests with frozen flannels for their poor tube-traumatised sore heads. Luckily our living room has big French doors and about half an inch of balcony, which we definitely made the most of last night.


House-cooling

 We also have a gorgeous wooden kitchen table, which I love. This year I’m living in a house with no dining table, so our only options or al fresco or al sofa, one of which is great, but only in hot weather, and the other of which isn’t really great in any weather. I’m so excited to be able to sit down to eat (with friends) around a table.


Welcome home!

I went for a walk to explore our new neighbourhood the evening we moved in. It was sweltering but I managed to scope out at least two running routes, and kept passing tempting little shops and cafĂ©s that I can’t wait to try. (Acton has definitely shot up in my estimation since my one and only previous visit – waiting at a night-bus stop at 4am a few years ago, nervously hoping I wouldn’t get stabbed... How times change!) I can’t believe how much there seems to be going on just a few footsteps outside our door – big contrast to sleepy Surrey. I can’t wait to start getting to know London properly.


I’m squeezing this post in before work as I have a feeling this week is going to be a busy one. I’m working the next six days straight and I know they’re going to be manic (or they should be, if we’re going to hit our targets this month...) I have only a hazy idea of when I’m going to fit in my next run, too. Last night I went running carrying a problem. A few posts back I wrote about running as anaesthetic, the way that a good run can drain your brain of everything, and that’s definitely what I need sometimes. Other days, though, it’s a problem, a frustration, a little niggle that propels me into my running shoes and out of my front door. I give my feet and my brain half an hour to solve the problem and it works a surprising amount of the time. Normally while running, I use the MapMyRun app on my iPhone (http://www.mapmyrun.com), which I hugely recommend. But last night all I took was my battered old sports watch – no distractions, no targets, no interruptions. When I set out my brain felt like a big, tangled ball of string; running can be the slow process of letting it out. Teasing your way out of a problem. I ran a route I have run countless times before, the one I started running when there was snow on the ground – therapeutic auto-pilot. String unspooling at every step, Ariadne in the maze, but all you find at the centre is yourself. Run complete, mind made up, ready for the week ahead.

1 comment:

  1. frozen flannels, genius! Glad to be heading up North tomorrow just for the weather! (not something you hear every day.)

    ReplyDelete